Tuesday 7 February 2012

Interview with James Scott







Interview with James Scott from Out Like a Lion 

A bath based indie band, who's first gig was to support the fiery Florence and the Machine! These boys have played the Introducing stage at Glastonbury festival, Won Chris Moyles New unsigned music competition on Radio 1, supported Example and all this in the space of two years and without even releasing their debut album! Not to mention the fact they are part of 'The Agency Group'! They sure are Busy, but how did it all start for their guitarist james, we had a little chat to find out.... 

 Whats your background in music.

When I was about 8 years old I stood up on the kitchen table and played along to Chris de Burgh on my fathers tennis racket. It wasn't long after I learnt "Wild Thing" on an old spanish guitar. My mother took my to Glastonbury in 1999 (I think that's what did it.) I got an electric guitar for christmas and started a band with a friend. We filled up several 90 minute tapes worth of jams and since then I can't remember a time when I wasn't thinking about writing music.

 What makes you want to work in the music industry as a musican?

I just love writing music. In my world there is nothing more exciting than the possibilities that occur every time you pick up your instrument. Also, away from the creative side, the music industry works in a way that suits me. What I mean is, I would hate to work in a prison cell of office dry walls for a company I didn't care for. For me, there is something electric about music; even music associated offices have a relaxed environment.



How did you manage to be played on chris moyles show on radio 1?

When we started this band we were lucky to gain support from BBC Introducing. They actually gave us our first show and since then we have kept good ties. We received an email discussing the 'Chris Moyles competition' and we were asked to submit a track. At the the time all this was happening we were in the middle of recording new material in London. We saw the competition as such gift of an opportunity but we were not confident in the music that we currently had. We were told that there was no way we would have the new songs finished in time so I got the files off the computer at the studio and stayed up all night and mixed the song myself. We managed to get it in just inside the deadline and the song went on to win the competition.

How did you get yourself onto the largest booking agency in the UK/USA (the agency group)?

After the success of being on the Radio One playlist we started to get a lot more emails (which is nice). It was a very exciting time going back and forth to London to have meetings about our band. We met with management companies, lawyers, press agents, radio pluggers, photographers, producers. It was my first insight into the 'behind the scenes' of the industry. Some people even travelled all the way to Bath to meet us. All of this made us feel like we must be doing something right. We got a call to come up to the Agency Group's offices in London and we discussed what they could do for us. I like to know every little thing about what's going on regarding my band, so when I looked up the Agency Group and saw their credentials I couldn't believe the roster. It all happened very fast but not in a "don't make any rash decisions" way, just like with finding our mangers, lawyer and everyone else that make a band work we just liked the people. We said that we wanted the business side of our band to feel like a family and it does.

What advice would you give a young musician today? 

Don't have any boundaries, not just in music but in life as well. 
Don't just listen to one genre of music.
Don't just listen to a band because your friends say "their cool"
Don't be Lazy.
Don't loose sight of what you're doing.
Don't let girls get in the way of music.


Do what you love.
Work harder than everyone else.
Have fun.
Don't be a dick.

The best advice I could give is to create something real, something that's yours. People will see straight through you if there's no substance or meaning. We refer to this as "weight" in our band. ie. "I think that chorus holds a lot of weight." Heavy things move you. People like to be moved by music.




No comments:

Post a Comment