Monday 6 February 2012

A career down Le Crapper!


The tale of the French student who dropped his career down the crapper!
This is a true story about an old student who I will refer to as Pierre (as he was French) because that way I can’t offend Davide if he does read this.

Once upon a time there was a French student called Pierre who always wanted to be a sound engineer and work in a big studio, getting paid to make big records from awesome bands. He had applied for many jobs, and sent his cv to studios all over the country. We sat for a tutorial and he told me that a relatively big studio in London had asked him to go for 3 months work experience doing the grave yard shift in the studio from 9-1am.

AWESOME! I felt like I just watched Rocky VI when Ivan Drago starts to bleed and says ‘He is not human, he is a piece of Iron’ and at the moment I could have punched a dolphin! I told him, this was it… the opportunity that would kick start his whole career. However he then told me that with college and studying, his morning job and travelling to London from Brighton and back (which he would personally have to pay for) he wasn’t sure how he could manage and afford it.

My advice was ‘whatever you do, say yes to the job offer and figure out a way of doing it, whether it means not sleeping or eating for 3 months, or living on someone’s floor. These opportunities don’t come round often.

A few months later I went to the cinema to watch an awesome cinematic adventure, which probably had super hero’s in because they are my favourite. Guess who sheepishly showed me to my seat….. Yep Davide… I mean Pierre. 

After weighing up his options he decided he couldn’t afford to pay for his own work experience and would look for something with more sociable hours. 

If you are serious about a career as a musician in this industry, you have to understand that so does everyone else. So you need to fight for it and take any and every opportunity that presents itself, especially doing the shitty stuff that nobody else wants to do.

Peas

Any resemblance to any French people you see working at Brighton Odeon is purely coincidental …. But say from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment